'It's' all over the news and people are at 'it' again. 'It' draws an analogy with the loss of India yet again in a cricket match. Do not be appalled, I do support India but just refrain myself from the torture of having to watch them lose every time I support them. You can call me superstitious but coincidentally or not the team I support tend to find itself always on the losing side.
I would just like to draw your attention to a couple of headlines that I read and saw on the tube yesterday.
Mission World Domination failed!!
Is Dhoni to blame?
Is Dhoni losing it?
The 5 tactical errors team India made!
Why India crashed out? and on and on....
It also took an ugly turn when the effigies of our Indian cricketers were burnt in the streets after there loss to England.
India is a highly emotional country when it comes to supporting our cricket team. But at the end of the day cricket is nothing more than a game. The IPL saw our Indian players enthrall the crowds with there superb performances. New players emerged and we foresaw a dawn of a new era in Indian cricket. These youngsters were elevated to the post of Gods by our news media channels on the television. All day and night we sang of there praises. But now when India clearly the favourites and defending champions of the tournament lost out, the media bashing started with the most outlandish of comments that I have ever seen.
A game has to be played, watched and enjoyed in the right spirit. The constant post-mortem on various situations, the so called controversies like Dhoni-Shewag saga that only out media seem to pick up, and the vituperative attacks on the sport men do not at the end of the change the fact that India lost. A lot of reasons can be concocted for the loss in this tournament, but for once just read it as a loss by 3 runs. At the end of the day when I watch the news switching between channels that all seem to be airing the same news over and over and over with increased intensity and more expert comments, I start feeling nauseated and I resign myself to turning to a more peaceful form of news media a.k.a. the newspaper.
I would just like to draw your attention to a couple of headlines that I read and saw on the tube yesterday.
Mission World Domination failed!!
Is Dhoni to blame?
Is Dhoni losing it?
The 5 tactical errors team India made!
Why India crashed out? and on and on....
It also took an ugly turn when the effigies of our Indian cricketers were burnt in the streets after there loss to England.
India is a highly emotional country when it comes to supporting our cricket team. But at the end of the day cricket is nothing more than a game. The IPL saw our Indian players enthrall the crowds with there superb performances. New players emerged and we foresaw a dawn of a new era in Indian cricket. These youngsters were elevated to the post of Gods by our news media channels on the television. All day and night we sang of there praises. But now when India clearly the favourites and defending champions of the tournament lost out, the media bashing started with the most outlandish of comments that I have ever seen.
A game has to be played, watched and enjoyed in the right spirit. The constant post-mortem on various situations, the so called controversies like Dhoni-Shewag saga that only out media seem to pick up, and the vituperative attacks on the sport men do not at the end of the change the fact that India lost. A lot of reasons can be concocted for the loss in this tournament, but for once just read it as a loss by 3 runs. At the end of the day when I watch the news switching between channels that all seem to be airing the same news over and over and over with increased intensity and more expert comments, I start feeling nauseated and I resign myself to turning to a more peaceful form of news media a.k.a. the newspaper.
No comments:
Post a Comment