January 18, 2010

Being Vindictive

Let me start my saying that this is how I saw the entire scene being played before my eyes.
A little bit of background information in this case might really help you guys in clearing some of your doubts that might crop up on reading this blog post.

It all began at the end of techNITi 09, a really kicker of a fest (well that's a personal opinion, don't want to piss people off who feel otherwise -read: pali).
There was an adrenaline high of the students at the end of a 3 day fest, who till then were all really frustrated with the college with all the restriction's and curfews for the juniors, lack of permissions, facilities being inadequate, etc managed to brew up a, well lets say, an awesome....hmm.....to put it mildly "something this college campus has never seen in its measly existence that it calls a college life". The fest ended on a sour note with a faculty apparently verbally abusing some students going out for a late night celebration. The highly melodramatic drama that followed involved cops, blocking of the national highway, list of demands, rallies, slogans against the said faculty and well a two week closure of the college. Wow this can really inspire another soap opera courtesy Ekta Kapoor, "Khaani Kollege Ki".

Well to get back to the present day, today the above mentioned faculty enters our class today (by the way he teaches us a subject this semester). Well there was a certain air of animosity that could have been felt in the classroom today. I personally was quite impressed with the way he handled himself. More so with the fact that he actually taught for the first time in English. A feat that is worthy of my praise considering that all this time I was of the opinion that he couldn't speak the language to save his life. The lecture happens with out any interruption from the students. His cell phone does make an appearance on one occasion ( come to think of it, it must have been a new model, something probably bought along with the new car he picked up the previous week all thanks to the sixth pay commission). Well he did break the ice with a nice joke, well it was in Hindi so I ended up giving a smirk after getting the translation from a friend. Near the end of the hour he asked for the time remaining. One student quipped 5 minutes sir.

This is where it started and by "it" read (mental rape, not literally of course since it was done with such ease that we all had our mouths gaping at the end of the lecture mouthing the words " what the f**k just happened?"). Well I shall be giving only the literal translations and the implied meaning since what followed was a series of dialogues in Punjabi and Hindi.

Statement : Mr. _______ ______ is a changed man. (well I'll leave his name out courtesy sake. Ohh and interestingly this part was in English). You will have to be careful this semester. If 100 dogs go up against a lion, the lion can falter. But how many times can 100 dogs gather at once. a Lion infact is a lion. I will not be abusive this time around. But I will do what I can to make your career. Some of you (looking at the prime arbitrators of the previous altercations) will have to be very careful. (and then the lion walked out scaring the shit out of us dogs)
Implications : I will not be as lenient as I'm was before. You will have a tough time because of what you made me go through. You think you won last time. Now I'm your teacher. I hold the power to fail you and make sure you spend a few more of your miserable years in this dump. I will make sure that you get supplies and will make your life a living hell. Especially you few guys who dared to cross me and embarrass me and my family in front of the people I work with. Lets see you try and mess with me again.

Here's hoping that life is a little more merciful to us.....


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey i heard about this incident in ur class...must say a very nice description
And best of luck---I think whole of ur class needs it!